04 fevereiro 2003

Um email para a Elenita

My news...My update to Elenita (my Greek friend, my MSc collegue at Strathclyde University and flat mate at Andrew Ure Hall)
Us
No kids. We've decided not to investigate if we can or cannot have children. 3 years have passed since we've decided to have children and nothing happen. We really don't feel the need to have children, so no problem.
Armando with his PhD and me with my MBA we spend a lot of time studying in our home office. Two computers on, the music also on (and the central heating as well, during winter. ha ha ha)
Friday or Saturday we go to the movies or something.
Plans? We would like to (re)visit Paris this Summer, and probably San Francisco as well (Armando's friend Filipe Ribeiro is doing a PhD in Berkeley). And in the future (2004, 2005) also London (???) and Greece (??? I guess we're trying to be invited over... he he he he)
Familywise
My nephew Pedro is 7,5 years old and my niece Catarina is nearly 2 years old.
My father-in-law has retired (although he is 57...). We try to keep him busy and active, but...
My parents have managed to buy the house in Sintra last year (the house belonged to my father, my uncle and my aunt). It wasn't easy! They are almost 'addicted' to Sintra: from Friday to Sunday they are always there (and sometimes from Thursday to Monday morning...)
Conceicao (the lady who worked for my family) is living in a house for old people since July 2001.
My sister is living near Madrid since September 2001. Lots of concerts. Very good cello teacher (a russian lady). Good oportunities. Spanish flat mates. Bad canteen.
This weekend she flew over to Lisbon. She misses her boyfriend Filipe. I haven't seen her, but this weekend she will come again, and this time she will stay for a week.
Friends
Sandra is living in Paris!!! She is still working at TOTALFINAELF. She is in Paris since last October.
Last April she and her French lover broke up, after 9 months living together (at 'his' place)... But she is ok. Last Christmas we'be been with her several times (she bought a flat in Lisbon as well).
We are planning to visit her in Paris this Summer.
She sometimes asks if I have any news from you. She would like to visit you. Maybe you'de like to visit her in Paris as well.
Eugenia and Carlos are a couple that we see every now and then (birthdays, Xmas or new year, etc...), and I keep in touch with her by email as well.
There is also a group that we go out with (for a movie, for a beer, for dinner, etc.) - the PhD group, meaning those that are doing PhDs or MSc with Armando. It's quite nice to go out with them, cause the group changes a lot, and there are ususally some foreigners. At present there is a brasilan girl, two germans and a french girl.
This Saturday we'll go out with Lino (portuguese) and Maria (brasilian) to see 'The Lord of the Dance'. Armando's sister and her husband are going with us as well.
MBA
The MBA is really a great experience. I like most of the subjects. MBA Subjects: Management accounting; Statistics; Marketing; Information Management; Economics; Financial Accounting; Knowledge Management; Entrepreneurship; e-business/m-business; Electronic Businesses; Strategy; Organisational Behaviour; Management Control Systems.
This trimester I have Change Management, Macroeconomics (taught by a former Prime-Minister!!!!), Intercultural Management and Information Technology.
We have a lot of group assignments!!
Work
At present I am involved in a geothermal project for Azores. I am responsible for the Mechanical section of the "Invitation to Bid". The deadline is approaching soon...
Oh, well, this reminds me I have to go back to work.
I don't travel much these days. Last year I went to Belgium for a day. Two years ago I went to Sweden and Denmark. That's all.
I was involved in a quality team (I was a 'process manager' for almost a year)