08 junho 2006

The right to remain silent - Imaginary scene

In my imaginary play, there is a scene when the Authority (A) confronts Charlie (C).
The Authority talks to Charlie. Charlie listens and responds in a pseudo-canon. The Authority does not pay much attention, and continues talking in a robot manner.

A: You have the right to remain silent.
C: But I also have the right to talk to you.
A: Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
C: Anything I say can but should not be used against me in a court of law.
A: You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning.
C: I have the right to speak to whom I want, and should not be requested for any undesired questioning.
A: If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.
C: If I could afford a lawyer, you would not be here, talking to me.
If you can afford a lawyer, lucky you!